Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Open Letter To Open Source Developers And Distributors


Dear Developers and Distributors,

I am an advocate and user of Open Source Software, Specifically Ubuntu, in latest incarnation of Jaunty Jackalope 9.04.

In this particular case I am trying to use a scanner. Unfortunately I cannot access this scanner as a normal user, but I do have access as root. This means that all I have to do is give the user permission to access the scanner. Easily done, however, I have no information on how to do this anymore. The way scanners are accessed in Ubuntu has changed and there is no documentation on this.

It is vital to give your users this information so that they can have access to their hardware. Using xsane, or any scanner program, as root is a unsafe practice that I would rather not do.

I understand that software and systems have to mature but removing the 'scanner' group and changing how scanners are handled without giving the information needed to allow scanner access is simply bad support. If a user cannot access the hardware what use is it to them? Please in the future document such important information and disseminate it so that supported hardware can be used.

Sincerely,
Shaun C. Marolf

No comments: