Thursday, April 26, 2007

Feisty Fawn

I am not a fan of the Ubuntu/Kubuntu schema. the sudo and other aspects of the distro tend to leave me a bit flat. However it has the best software repository in Linux available, is well supported and it does multimedia very well.

That being said I do use Kubuntu as the issues with PCLOS and Mepis are at this time unresolved and I have business needs that have to be met. Since Kubuntu meets them I use it.

Feisty Fawn (Version 7.04) is the latest Ubuntu/Kubuntu release. The Kubuntu side has made drastic improvements in the user interface and actually stepped back on some things returning access of the root directory to the user in konqueror though if you do the upgrade option you won't see this.

My desktop system was upgraded over the Internet and for the most part it went very smoothly with only a few minor glitches. Nothing even a newbie can't learn to fix.

Still though my laptop came out better when I did a full system reinstall on it using the installation option of the CD.

Some aspects of the security features still prove to be a pain but thanks to the how tos I have been able to get CUPS up and running so now both my LaserJet and Brother MFC-210C can now be used by my Desktop system (local) and Laptop (network). I am still working out the saned setup to get Kubuntu to share the scanner part of the MFC-210C between the two and eventually with a Windows machine as well.

The print to FAX option is still being worked out as well.

Over all I have to rate Feisty Fawn an 8 out of 10. The improvements are well worth looking into.

One final note: Automatix2 is a must use in Kubuntu and there is a version for Feisty Fawn available.

No comments: